Constructed in 1926, the 70 East Cedar Street Building was converted to a cooperative in 1949. There are 30 apartments in the building. The two typical floor plans are for 9 or 10 room apartments, each including two or three bedrooms, three bathrooms and staff quarters. On the four top floors, there are four duplex penthouse apartments each with a terrace outside the principal main floor room. There is a working fireplace in each of 28 of the apartments. The building includes a garage for 17 cars. Car washing service by building staff is included in the monthly garage fee. The building engineer resides on the premises. The 24-hour staff provides full receiving room service. The building is a quietly elegant haven just off North Lake Shore Drive (1100 north).