680 North Lake Shore Drive - a part of Chicago's history! In 1923 construction began for the American Furniture Mart (whose address at that time was 666 Lake Shore Drive) which was then known as the "world's largest building". In 1951, General Lawrence H. Whiting, the original owner of the building, sold it to Consolidated Enterprises, Inc. and Arthur Wirtz became president of the American Furniture Mart. In 1959 the American Furniture Mart still attracted a crowd; however, in the 60's the focus of the trade shifted to Texas and North Carolina. In 1979, David Paul and Peter Immelman (whom Mr. Paul bought out in 1980) bought the building from the Wirtz Company. Most of the building was gutted and Mr. Paul installed a garage, and put in brand new plumbing and heating systems readying the property for the sale of condominiums. This was not a good time for sales because the prime rate hit 21%, so the building remained rental. In 1982, Chemical Bank of New York purchased the building and readied the South Residences (120 apartments). The Tower Residences (131 apartments) was owned by Gerald Richman and he converted the Tower Residences to condominiums in 1990. In March, 1988 the building's name was officially changed to 680 North Lake Shore Drive. The property is approximately two million square feet comprised of 600,000 square feet of offices, commercial stores, a public garage and three Condominium Associations housing 415 condominiums plus a Garage Association with 176 parking spaces. This dignified luxury condominium building offers the residents a city within itself. This pet friendly building offers an expansive health club facility including a lap pool. Residents of 680 never need to leave the confines of the building. Restaurants, super market, coffee shop, salons, ACE Hardware, 5/3rd Bank, Walgreens and many other shops to purchase items and pamper yourself are under one roof...not to mention doctor's offices and additional professional places of work!